Friday, June 12, 2015

Unexpected, Pleasant Reunion

On Sunday afternoon, my beautiful cousin, Nikki, who now lives in Arizona called me up out of the blue to let me know that both she and her older sister, Dieu, were in town and wanted to meet up with me at some coffee shop.  My cousin, Nikki, is one of the sweetest girls around.  We are actually second cousins, as her mother and my mother are first cousins.  I remember the very first time we had actually met was exactly 22 years ago in 1993.  That was when she and her older sister and their mother had just moved here to the United States from Vietnam.  I can go on and on about the beautiful "real life" love story about her parents, whom I had addressed as Uncle Trong and Aunt Tram.  You see, her father had first moved to the United States and had lived here for several years.  He never forgot about his family back in Vietnam.  He worked hard and finally managed to bring the rest of his family to the United States.  Nikki now owns her own Vietnamese restaurant right outside of Phoenix and also has become a Vietnamese singer.  She goes by the stage name, Bao Tram.



Tuan Anh and Thien Phu
It was very nice to see both Nikki and Dieu again, along with another uncle, Uncle Tuan.  But I had no idea that she had arranged for me to reunite with someone that I admire quite a bit and hadn't seen in ages.  That person is none other than singer Tuan Anh.  To see him again after so many years was like a breath of fresh air.  He hasn't aged one bit.  As a matter of fact, I think he even looks younger today than the last time I saw him almost ten years ago.  He's still funny as ever.  Full of jokes, he made all of us laugh non-stop.  I wonder what's his secret in staying so youthful and positive after all these years.
Bao Tram, Tuan Anh and Thien Phu 

Bao Tram and Tuan Anh

No comments:

Post a Comment