Monday, February 23, 2015

A Loving Tribute to Viet Dzung

Viet Dzung (1958-2013)
It seemed like everytime someone close to me had passed away, Viet Dzung was the first person to notify me.  During the summer of 1998, while I was in Vietnam vacationing with Julie Quang and his wife, Bébé Hoang Anh, I received a telegram one morning that Michelle Diem My had just been killed in a fire.  Almost three years later, while I was at his radio station, Radio Bolsa, in Westminster, California, just visiting, he tells me out of nowhere, "Hey, did you hear Ngoc Lan just passed away?"  And then on November of 2003, on one terrifying morning, I received a phone call from Viet Dzung with the news that Anh Tu had just died.  But during the Christmas season of 2013, nobody called to inform me that Viet Dzung had just passed away.

Needless to say, I was devastated when I finally heard the news of his passing.  How I found out was through a posting on one of my friend's Facebook wall.  I had learned of his failing health years ago, but I never wanted to believe that he would possibly face his last days anytime soon.  Viet Dzung had always been a constant in my life.  He was like an older brother, one who full of wisdom and always had the best advice to give.  Because I had looked up to him so highly, my image of Viet Dzung had always been of someone who was invincible.  It is rather hard for me to really grasp what is reality, and that is, he is no longer with us.

My friendship with Viet Dzung began sometime in 1997.  I had been introduced to him by Julie Quang, who was also very close to him and his wife, Bébé.  For many years, we were like a family.  These three very special individuals had become the adoptive older brother and sisters that I never had.  I can't say that I was ever friends with Viet Dzung, because he was more like my older brother, instead of a buddy or pal.  I had the deepest respect for him.  He was a tremendous, multi-talented individual. I have yet to meet anyone else that could match his drive or ambition.  Just spending time with him on any given day, I was amazed at his remarkable work ethics and tenacious will to constantly succeed.

I am forever indebted to Viet Dzung his tremendous generosity throughout our friendship of many years.  I can honestly say, there's just no one like him.  Viet Dzung was definitely one of a kind and a true gem to the Vietnamese American community.  I miss him very much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment