Saturday, September 27, 2014

I Love Paris

Out of all the places in the world I've been to, I must say Paris has been my constant favorite.  Since I'm a Vietnamese singer, I love singing wherever there are a lot of Vietnamese people.  Paris certainly has its fair share of Vietnamese population.  I remember the first time I performed in Paris.  It was in the summer of 2008.  What I loved the most was looking down from the stage seeing all the beautiful Vietnamese Parisians dressed in top-notched form.  I had always been frightened of performing for an audience that spoke French fluently.  I always thought that somehow they would disapprove of my French.  That didn't happen. 

I remember the first song I sang for them was "Ne Me Quitte Pas".  When I was done with the song, I said, "Salut mes amis, Je m'appelle Thien Phu.  Et je suis Americain."  I didn't expect a thunderous applause would come about.  But it did.  I guess it just goes to show that that old saying that French people don't like Americans is just simply a myth. 

When I was in Paris, the news that went around town was that a French-Vietnamese Eurasian singer by the name of Thien Phu had made a splash with the audience in the 13th district.  Well, the truth is I'm not French-Vietnamese.   Yes, I am Eurasian.  But my father is Swedish-American.  However they wanted to put it, I was alright with it.  I was just glad I was able to please them with my skills singing in French.  I'm waiting for the day when I'll be asked to come back.  If it doesn't happen, I'm alright with that.  That experience was enough to last me a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment