Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What Is Tuan Anh Really Like?

I've had the privilege of working with this gentleman a few times.  I use the term, "gentleman", because that's what he has always been to me, a real gentleman.  Regardless of what people might say of Tuan Anh, I've always found working with him to be a positive experience.   When you're as big as Tuan Anh, people will say a lot of negative things about you.  The only things I can say about Tuan Anh are good things. 

I remember the first time I worked with him was on a show in San Diego, California.  On that show, we were booked together with another singer, Dai Trang.  Although Dai Trang did a great job during her performance, and I tried my best to get the audience going during my set of songs, nobody could get the audience to stop what they're doing and put their entire focus on the stage except for Tuan Anh.  He's simply amazing.  The audience just went wild as he effortlessly dished out "The Power of Love", "What Is Love", "Chiec Ao Ba Ba", etc.  They just couldn't get enough of Tuan Anh.  That night I had to share a hotel room with Tuan Anh.  I had heard from countless others how I had to watch out.  I stayed up all night waiting to see if something would happen.  The next morning I asked him, "Anh Tuan Anh, I've heard from others what would happen if I stayed in the same hotel room with you?  Why didn't anything happen?"  He laughed and said, "What did you hear?"  I asked him if I wasn't good looking enough.  He said, "You are very good looking.  But, please, don't flatter yourself."  We both ended up laughing. 

The next time I worked with Tuan Anh was on a show in Dallas with Phuong Hong Que.  The same thing happened and we were both booked in the same hotel room.  Again, nothing happened.  I guess you can say, people have the most rotten mouths and they like to talk bad about people when they don't know what they're talking about.  Tuan Anh has always been a gentleman to me.  I remember one good advice he had given me.  On the night of the performance in Dallas, he saw that I had a bit too much to drink during my second set of songs.  He looked at me and said, "Why must you drink so much before you go on stage?"  I said, "It calms my nerves."  He said, "Then that must mean, you don't really love what you do."  That got me to thinking.  Since that day on, I've consciously tried my best not to get myself too liquored up before I walk on stage.  Thanks, Tuan Anh.

No comments:

Post a Comment